Organisation of sports events
Last update 03.08.2020
The Ministry of Education and Science has prepared regulations to be observed from 1 August, when organising sports training and competitions, as well as inviting foreign athletes to participate in international sports events in Latvia.
Sports training and competition
- during sports training and competitions athletes and sports employees may fail to observe the distance of 2 metres; this provision shall also refer to amateur sports;
- no more than 30 persons shall gather in the training group at the same time in organised sports activities, moreover, without an age limit, at least 4 m2 per person must be provided, activities of several training groups may take place at the same time, if the capacity of the venue allows it;
- it is permitted to organise competitions, taking into account the general gathering restrictions (up to 250 persons may gather in premises, smaller than 1000 m2, up to 500 persons may gather in premises in the area of 1000 m2 or bigger, and up to 3000 persons - outside);
- until 31 August, a water area of at least 8 m2 for 1 person shall be provided in pools, except pools for well-being, where a water area of at least 4 m2 shall be provided;
- restriction of the water area shall not refer to organised sports training and organised sports competitions in swimming in public swimming pools;
- time restriction shall not refer to sports events taking place outside; they may take place during the whole day-and-night.
Participation of foreign athletes in international sports events in Latvia
International sports event - sports competition of international importance, included in the calendar of competitions of the international sports federation (including official training planned before the competition), as well as sports competitions of international leagues, the list of which is published on the website of the Latvian Sports Federation Council. This category shall not include sports competitions at the Baltic or Latvian level (including open championships and cups), except for in the case when they are qualification competitions for participation in the Olympic or Paralympic Games, as well as world and European championships in Olympic and Paralympic sports.
Foreign athletes and sports staff may arrive to Latvia from the risk countries included on the list of the Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and participate in international sports events, when 2 Covid-19 tests have been performed and they are negative:
- the 1st test should be made not earlier than 3 days before arrival to Latvia
- the 2nd test - a day after arrival to Latvia (self-isolation should be observed until receipt of the 2nd result)
- the 3rd or repeated test should be made when staying in Latvia for longer than 5 days in relation to participation in an international sports event in Latvia
After arrival to Latvia, foreign athletes and sports staff should submit the organiser of the sports event the certification regarding the fact that they will comply with all determined restrictions and will observe their health status.
Athletes will not be permitted to use public transport, but they will have to use their own transport or transport provided by the organiser of the international sports event in Latvia.
During the sporting event, the person shall not visit other public or social places, including bars and restaurants, as well as shall try to limit contact with other people during the event.
In turn, the organiser of an international sports event in Latvia will be obliged to:
- ensure the availability of the certifications and documents filled in by the persons regarding the results of the Covi-19 tests performed on the persons at the place of the international sports event;
- immediately inform the relevant international sports federation if the athlete, sports employee or representative of international sports organisations fails to comply with the specified obligations at an international sports event in Latvia. In this case, it will be necessary to decide on the revocation of the accreditation issued to the person in accordance with the procedure established by the relevant international sports federation.