Entering Latvia from third countries
Last update 15.04.2021
We recommend people to avoid traveling abroad, as this increases the risk of becoming infected with Covid-19!
Until 15 June, it is required that persons entering Latvia by air, land, etc., from a country that is not a member of the European Union or the European Economic Area, the Swiss Confederation, or the United Kingdom, must take an additional Covid-19 test at the nearest possible testing point upon their arrival in Latvia. Please note that taking the test is also obligatory for children and already vaccinated persons! This condition also applies to persons who enter Latvia via other EU Member States by land, sea, etc.
If the test is negative:
- the person must self-isolate for 10 days at their place of residence. In case of a positive test result, or if no test has been performed, the person must isolate in one of the hotels published on the LIAA website. Test and hotel costs must be covered by the traveller!
- If the person cannot get tested, they must immediately self-isolate in one of the tourist accommodations from the LIAA list and remain there until they get tested.
If the test result is positive:
- the person must provide this information on the covidpass.lv site and immediately self-isolate (or continue isolation) in freely chosen Latvian tourist accommodation from the LIAA-administered list of tourist accommodations with the necessary safety protocols in place;
- the person is obliged to inform the tourist accommodation about their status as a person returning from a non-essential trip from a third country without having been tested or having tested positive.
If a person can document that they have had Covid-19, have recovered, and are no longer infectious, a general practitioner may decide that the person shall not be subject to self-isolation conditions and issue or send Form No. 027/u electronically to the person with the following entry: “I certify that self-isolation conditions are not applicable to (name and surname of person) from .............(date) 2020.”
For submitting samples, you can use the contact-free sample receiving/submitting machines located in the following places:
- Brīvības gatve 366, Rīga, LV-1006
- Terminal E, Airport “Riga”, Marupe, LV-1053
- Finiera street 6, Bolderaja, Riga, LV-1016
- Sūru street 2, Kuldiga, LV-3301
- Pilsoņu iela 13, Rīga, LV-1002 (available only to PSKUS employees)
The contactless dispense/collect machine is available every day, 24 hours a day (00-24).
The testing price for the SARS-CoV-2 saliva sample is €29.00.
Tourism service providers are obliged to:
- ensure the transportation of the person to tourist accommodation for the purpose of isolation;
- inform the State Police if, during the isolation period, the person does not stay in at night or is absent from the tourist accommodation for an extended period of time.
Types of travel and travellers exempt from the above-mentioned conditions for mandatory testing and self-isolation:
- transit passengers:
- who cross the territory of the Republic of Latvia by land;
- aircraft passengers who transit through the territory of the Republic of Latvia without leaving the controlled area of the aerodrome and who do not remain there for longer than 24 hours, provided that they can present confirmation of the transit flight.
- members of the diplomatic service:
- employees of foreign diplomatic and consular representations, international organisations and their representations accredited in Latvia, as well as their family members;
- persons who arrive in Latvia at the invitation of the President of the State, the Saeima, the Cabinet of Ministers or a member thereof, the Constitutional Court, the Supreme Court, the State Audit Office, or a Ministry;
- Latvian or foreign diplomatic couriers;
- holders of diplomatic passports of the Republic of Latvia, their accompanying technical staff, and officials and employees of the diplomatic and consular service, in the performance of their official functions;
- foreign diplomats and their family members who are crossing the territory of the Republic of Latvia in transit for the performance of their official functions; holders of diplomatic passports of the Republic of Latvia; the officials and employees, as well as their family members, of the diplomatic and consular service, who are returning from their country of service or who must enter their country of service.
- freight and passenger transport:
- employees and passengers of service providers, cargo or technical transport crews who arrive in the Republic of Latvia or leave it in the performance of their duties;
- by military transport;
- (no more than five passengers) by private and recreational watercraft;
- occasional passenger transport if passengers are crossing the territory of the Republic of Latvia in transit.
- business trips:
- seafarers who need to get to or from their place of work on board;
- foreigners whose arrival in Latvia is necessary for the fulfilment of the obligations of merchants as confirmed by the Latvian Investment and Development Agency;
- Latvian nationals who are members of official delegations of Latvia or who must enter their place of work within the framework of an intergovernmental project.
- other travellers:
- athletes and sports employees, as well as representatives of international sports organisations whose arrival in the territory of the Republic of Latvia is related to participation in an international sports event organised by a sports federation or its member in accordance with the Sports Law, as well as accredited persons, if they can prove that they have been tested for Covid-19 within the last three days before their arrival in Latvia and that the Covid-19 test results were negative;
- foreigners and their accompanying person, whose arrival in Latvia is necessary for receiving treatment (diagnostics and therapy) within the framework of health tourism and has been coordinated by the Health Inspectorate, if they can prove that they have been tested for Covid-19 within the last three days before their arrival in Latvia and that the Covid-19 test results were negative;
- cultural workers whose arrival in Latvia is related to the provision of cultural services and the organisation of public events and whose groups have been determined by the Minister of Culture;
- Latvian adult team athletes, Latvian Olympic team, Latvian Paralympic team, as well as Latvian team athletes participating in international leagues in Olympic, Paralympic, and technical sports and disciplines, and their staff, the list of which has been agreed with the Ministry of Education and Science and who are returning to the Republic of Latvia after having participated in a sports competition abroad. If these persons have been outside of Latvia for more than three days, they must prove that they have been tested for Covid-19 within the last three days before their arrival in Latvia, and that the Covid-19 test results were negative. If these persons have been outside of Latvia for more than three days, they must prove that they have been tested for Covid-19 within the last three days before their arrival in Latvia, and that the Covid-19 test results were negative.