For Patients’ Families
Last update 15.01.2021
What to do if a member of my household falls ill?
If this person is taken to a hospital, you should put on a protective mask, disposable apron, and rubber gloves and clean the premises thoroughly:
- First use a household cleaner, then a disinfectant.
- Objects and surfaces that have been touched by the infected person should be cleaned especially thoroughly. For cleaning small surfaces, a 70% ethanol solution can be used.
- The sick person’s clothing, underclothing, and bed linen should be washed in a washing machine at a temperature of 60-90o (preferably 90o).
- Wash dishes thoroughly with a detergent. If possible, wash dishes in a dishwasher at a high temperature. The recommended water temperature is at least 70o.
Avoid touching your face with your hands while cleaning the premises. The gloves, mask, and apron should be discarded immediately after cleaning. They must not be reused!
If the patient is instructed to be treated at home, the premises should be cleaned regularly following the above-mentioned instructions. Additional safety measures:
- The patient should be isolated, if possible, in a separate room that can be ventilated easily. Other members of the household must stay in other rooms or keep a distance of 2 meters from the patient. Sharing a bed with the patient is not allowed.
- The patient must have access to: hand sanitiser, a face mask, a towel, disposable wipes, wet wipes, a waste bin (for used wipes, etc.), separate cutlery, and bed linen. The patient's dishes must be washed in hot water of a temperature of at least 70o.
- Rooms must be ventilated frequently.
- The patient should use disposable medical masks. If not wearing a mask, the mouth and nose must be carefully covered with a disposable tissue when coughing or sneezing. It must be discarded immediately and hands must be washed or disinfected.
- The number of carers must be limited and visitors must not be accepted.
- The carers must use disposable medical masks.
- The patient's dishes, clothing, and bedding must be washed separately.
- Regular cleaning and disinfection of surfaces must be performed.
The list of medical institutions that provide outpatient health care services to Covid-19 patients and their contact persons is available on the website of the National Health Service website in the section “Procedures for Receiving Medical Services”. The list of institutions is subject to change, please follow the current information on the National Health Service website.